Sunday, March 25, 2007

firefox 2 -> 2.0.0.2 upgrade on fedora 6 64bit proc.

having fun with linux ? me too, specially when things finally works.

I upgraded my firefox installation from 2.0 to 2.0.0.2, using :
yum -y -t –enable=development update firefox
(via this)

then imagine what, I found that java plugin was no longer working. While I fixed this when I first installed Fedora Core 6, I have forgotten that running 64bit Firefox will break any 32bit plugin, including Java and Flash.

So, I found myself having the two versions of Firefox (32 and 64bit):

> sudo yum list installed | grep firefox
firefox.x86_64 2.0.0.2-2.fc7 installed
firefox.i386 2.0.0.2-2.fc7 installed

good, it means that by default the 64bit is launched, I needed to launch the 32bit version instead.
What to do ? this article , while shows a how-to for Firefox 1.5, provided the idea: I've made a copy of /usr/bin/firefox and rename it as /usr/bin/firefox-32.sh; then, I've edited the renamed script. I found below declarations and the simple and fast track was to remove the '64' string, so that this firefox-32.sh script would only use /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64.

##
## Variables
##
MOZ_ARCH=$(uname -m)
case $MOZ_ARCH in
x86_64 | ia64 | s390 )
MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
;;
* )
MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
SECONDARY_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
;;
esac


I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, this one was simple enough and did the trick. Since I used to have all the fancy plugins working (in the 2.0 version), I didn't need to do anything else. It just worked, plain and simple.

No comments: