Monday, June 21, 2010

ubuntu - what I have and what I miss.

I wanted to somehow give a status as to how am I going towards my day-to-day living in Ubuntu 10.04

What I like:

- Notes 8.5.x running from the Windows partition, out-of-the-box, just by edit the /opt/lotus/notes/data/notes.ini on Ubuntu, and set

Directory=/media/win_disk/path_to_notes_data

When booting Ubuntu, after login, I need to remember to open Nautilus in order to mount the Windows partitions. I know this can be done automatically, it didn't bother me so far.

- Rational Software Architect smoothly installed.

- Rational Method Composer just fixed, see the previous post.

- Everything else just works: wireless, VPN's and so on.

What I don't like:

- There's no HTC Sync equiv. for Linux. What the heck, Android is a Linux clone. Well...
- Notes 8 has some font issues which I didn't quite overcome. But I reached a way of getting along with it. I think the next Notes 8.x versions will address that.
- I didn't find a good outliner/personal wiki/whatever in order to keep my knowledge notes. On Windows I had different options, on Linux I am still investigating. So far Basket Note Pads comes rather close, but it's not what I want: keep flat files, rich formatting, easy search

No comments: