Tuesday, July 14, 2009

programmer equals developer ?

I am starting this writing on a subject which has already been discussed over and over again. Younger fellows (not surprisingly) seems to not make a difference between "programmer" and "developer". Being in this industry for more than 10 years, I do.

For others as my fellow mates who cannot distinguish between the two, here are the links from the Sun's certification pages:

programmer vs. developer

From my point of view, I can summarize the following:

programmer: one writes lines of code which compiles, following a design.
developer: one understands what the lines of code means, creating the design.

I also think that above difference does not only apply to Java. It also applies to other languages. It's a matter of attitude towards your job. You need to aspire to understand your technology beyond the details of writing code.

This is not a rant. I'm trying to avoid arrogance in this post. Just that developer is not the same as programmer.

No comments: